Riding The School Bus
by Vicki Lansky
The school bus rules might be the first piece of homework your child
brings home, and the school bus might be the first mode of public
transportation he or she takes alone. It's important that rules be
followed for everyone's safety, and for the sanity of the bus driver.
- Do discuss procedures and rules to be followed on the bus with your
- Drive the bus route with your child and point out landmarks along the
- You can also help your child memorize the number or letter that
identifies the bus he or she will take if you can get it before school
Now what do you do if your child does miss the school bus?
- Let him or her walk if that's possible and just be late for school.
- Let your child stay home, but don't let it be fun - no TV, no friends
home after school.
- Drive your child to school noting the time it takes; a child might do
chores for that amount of time after school.
- Or maybe just call a cab and let your child pay for it out of
I suspect it won't happen again if you let the natural consequences
Programmed and Hosted by
The Parenting Resource Center on the Web.
Last modified: Oct 24, 1995